What are the demands on a surgical dressing?
Mepilex Border offers optimal post-surgical fluid handling with a unique five-layer design that effectively absorbs, distributes and retains exudate.
Its high retention capacity minimises the risk of leakage and reduces the need to change the dressing as often.
Wound pain at dressing change is known to be a devastating part living with a chronic
wound10. For acute wounds, such as surgical wounds, the number of dressing changes
are fewer however, despite this, pain at dressing change should be addressed11.
Consensus11 has been reached on the key principles on how to minimise pain at
dressing related procedures:
- Assume all wounds are painful
- Always assess pain
- Select a dressing that is atraumatic
Safetac® is a unique adhesive interface that minimises pain to patients and trauma to wounds. Dressings with Safetac hurt less because it:
- Tacks gently to dry surfaces, like skin, but not to moist surfaces, such as open wounds12
- Moulds to the skin's pores, covering more skin surface and spreading peel forces on removal to prevent skin stripping13
- Seals the wound margins, minimising the spread of exudates and the risk of maceration14,15